Minutes 24 Jan 2012

24 January 2012

ELLINGHAM, HARBRIDGE & IBSLEY PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held in Ellingham Church Hall on Tuesday 24 January 2012.

Present:

Cllr Burtenshaw (Chairman)

Cllr Stokes

Cllr Errington

Cllr Webster

Cllr Shand

Cllr Richardson

Natasha Mackenzie (Clerk)

Members of the Public (3).

  1. Apologies.

12/01

Apologies were received from Cllr Lane, Cllr Spark, DCllr Dow and CCllr Heron.

  1. Declarations of Interest – none.
  2. Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 22 November 2011.

12/02

It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 22 November 2011 were to be signed as a true and accurate record. Proposed by Cllr Stokes and seconded by Cllr Webster

  1. Matters Arising

12/03

11/61 – Overgrown shrubbery on Snails Lane reported by Mrs King. Peter Newman (Fisheries Manager, Cemex) has agreed to meet on site to determine where problem is. Clerk to arrange date.

11/120 Community SpeedWatch (CSW) update – Cllr Lane was absent, she will report at the next meeting on 28 Feb’12.

11/123 NPA Links with EHI PC – Clerk received response from Andy Brennan (James Brown moved on within NPA). He feels a meeting with Chairman & Clerk to discuss potential projects will be more appropriate. Clerk to arrange.

11/134 Dodington Charity – Cllr Burtenshaw has advised Charity Commission of amendment to expand wording to include the whole parish as the beneficial area of the charity; the reason for this is the original beneficial area no longer exists. Contact details updated by clerk.

11/151 Flooding issue; Dockens Water – Moyles Court to Hampshire Wildlife Reserve – Cllr Webster advised he has been contacted by Glyn Fonteneau (Environment Agency) to agree a date for a site meeting. It was agreed Cllrs Webster and Errington will attend on behalf of the Parish Council. Tom Hordle will be invited to attend also, as he has previously been adversely affected by flooding.

  1. Public Forum

12/04

No questions were received from the public present at the meeting, however Cllr Webster had received an email from John East-Rigby asking what progress is being made on previous discussions on installing dragon’s teeth along Mockbeggar Lane to protect the SSSI verges. Cllr Burtenshaw responded that this matter is more appropriate for the Planning Committee although the matter was already in progress and she would respond to Mr East-Rigby accordingly; Clerk to add to agenda for 14 Feb’12.

  1. Finance

12/05

  1. Payment of accounts. The following cheques were approved for payment. Proposed by Cllr Richardson, seconded by Cllr Shand.
885

The Tree Management Company-Karma Cottage

£170.00

886

HALC-new Standing Orders book

£22.61

887

NFDC Election Expenses

£123.25

888

Clerk N Mackenzie, Dec salary & expenses

£418.94

889

SLCC membership renewal

£110.00

890

Viking, office supplies (£153 Jan’12 newsletter)

£243.28

891

Viking, office supplies (inks, other stationery)

£90.77

892

BT Payments Services Ltd, clerk’s phone

£88.69

893

Clerk N Mackenzie, Jan salary & expenses

£545.24

12/06

  1. Financial report.

Current £7,605.92 (after these payments above)

Capital £38,312.62 (inc. Headlands 106 money £28,224)

Reserve £845.67

12/07

  1. Finalised precept for 2012/2013.

As previously agreed by the Parish Council, the Budget working group reviewed the 6% increase and found it was sufficient. The clerk completed the paperwork and requested £18,090 which equates to £30.32 per elector. For the year 2011/12 the cost per elector was £28.70.

  1. Crime in the Parish

12/08

None to report, however Cllr Burtenshaw emphasised importance of protecting outbuildings and reporting any problems to the Police.

  1. Environmental Matters

12/09

  1. Sam Jones (Rights of Way) re: footpath 703

Cllr Burtenshaw thanked Sam for attending the meeting, asking him to update the Parish Council on progress on the access for footpath 703 and when the Blashford Lakes Access Forum is scheduled to reconvene.

Sam detailed his negotiations to date with Wessex Water in relation to using their bridge as access on footpath 703, as the existing footbridge has fallen into disrepair and is likely to need replacing (approx cost £20,000). He explained should Wessex Water agree to this, the bridge and its upkeep would be their responsibility and they would need to accept permanent right of way. Wessex Water is asking for a payment of £25,000 for them to accept this liability, which Sam feels is too high and he wants to commence negotiations with them to reduce this figure.

It was questioned whether the Study Centre use the bridges at all, with a potential for them to contribute to the cost, however it was felt their use was probably occasional. Sam was asked whose responsibility the footbridge is if it becomes dangerous and collapses; it is Hampshire County Councils. If the bridge did collapse, at present Sam advised due to funds being limited, the likely outcome would be the footpath being closed until funds were found to replace it.

Sam is keen to arrange a meeting of the Blashford Lakes Access Forum in the spring, however he stated the agenda needs to be specific to potential projects, rather than being an open meeting, to enhance the productivity and results gained from the meeting. Footpaths are generally used for recreational activities these days, to gain access to the amenities in the area.

Cllr Burtenshaw asked for volunteers to identify projects with the parish. Cllrs Webster and Errington volunteered, they are to discuss and meet with Sam Jones to discuss further. Sam will circulate a provisional date for the formal meeting. All agreed the Parish Council needs to spend the 106 funds currently held, then in the future the remaining funds held by NFDC can be applied for.

12/10

  1. Kelvin Winch (RFFS) – discuss survey results of BVPI

Kelvin advised this survey was introduced by DEFRA, all footpaths are to be reviewed against a strict criteria. In EHI there are 87 rights of way, and 29 failed. One of the reasons for this is the paths across the commons criss cross and signposting is not necessarily appropriate, and this makes the paths harder to follow. The main paths for concern were:-

  • Ibsley Bridge to Gorley Road
  • Red Shoot
  • Toms Farm
  • FP723 – electric fencing across path & metal gates
  • FP722 – presence of slurry

Kelvin stated that some funding may be available, eg the small grants scheme, and he is happy to assist with the application process if required. The funding is available to assist with creating a continuous path and to enhance access for less abled users. Kelvin advised there is no grading structure to the paths at present, eg identifying very steep paths. Replacing stiles with gates was discussed, and Sam Jones confirmed this cannot be done without the landowners consent

Cllr Burtenshaw asked for volunteers to work with Kelvin to identify potential projects for the

parish. Cllrs Webster and Richardson volunteered, and they will present a shortlist to the Parish

Council in due course.

12/11

  1. Natural England’s forthcoming grants scheme ‘Paths for Communities’. Kelvin Winch advised there is little information about the specifics of the scheme at present, but it is thought it is to create new paths and link up existing paths to enhance the user’s pleasure. He will email the clerk when there is more information.

    12/13

  2. Ditches – flooding issues. Further to an email from a resident complaining about flooding in Highwood Lane, several cllrs had taken a look and compared to other roads in the parish (Gorley Rd), the road was not deemed to be too much of a problem. Cllr Burtenshaw to speak with Ken Chatfield. There has been a noticeable improvement now the willows have been cleared at Hucklesbrook; clerk to ask HCC Highways what their next action is going to be with reference to the erosion of the highway. It was suggested the Handyman Terry Mason could be utilised to dig some ditches.

    12/14

  3. Nature Improvement Areas meeting. Cllr Errington reported the intent is to get the message out to the public about how to get involved with rejoining the landscape. Hampshire Wildlife Trust are going to continue with this venture.

    12/15

  4. Sale of land at Rockford Farm. The concerns of the agricultural land being divided into pony paddocks were discussed and Cllr Burtenshaw advised this matter will be moved to the Planning Committee. Cllr Errington proposed the Parish Council contact Lucie Cooper (NPA Enforcement) to enquire whether she is aware of what appears to be happening. Seconded by Cllr Webster. All in favour. Clerk to investigate.
    1. Community Matters

    12/16

    1. The Community Plan. Cllr Richardson reported there are 9 main actions to go into the final document, which is currently being created.

    12/17

    1. The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. All agreed a tree is a good idea, with relevant permissions eg the Verderers. Clerk awaiting response and will report on size of free tree.

    12/18

    1. New Resident Welcome Pack. Cllr Shand was thanked for her reports on what could be included in the proposed pack. It was discussed and agreed that information specific to new New Forest residents would be more appropriate, such as Agister contact, what not to do with ponies, etc. Also a leaflet to introduce the Parish Council, contact details, etc. Cllr Burtenshaw suggested that much of the relevant information could be disseminated to new residents via the Website and any leaflet could highlight this. It was agreed to keep the matter under review.

    12/19

    1. ‘Community Payback Scheme’ Hampshire Probation Service (circ. 6 Dec’11). It was agreed by all a good idea, Cllr Burtenshaw proposed clerk contact them and request bramble clearance particularly along Footpath 703 to the south of Ellingham Drove, seconded by Cllr Richardson, all in favour.

    12/20

    1. Website. Cllr Burtenshaw proposed creating a working group to assist Cllr Spark with getting the new website up to date and populating with local information. Cllr Richardson volunteered to work with Cllr Spark.

    12/21

    1. Brand New Forest Broadband Campaign meeting (10 Jan’12). All agreed for clerk to invite Mark Bloor along to the meeting on 28 Feb’12. Cllr Errington recommended an article or additional leaflet be included in the next newsletter to highlight how the public have to get involved and voice how poor the rural service is.

    12/22

    1. Access to bus stop at Ibsley Church. A neighbour has requested Cllr Webster raise the issue of the bus stop at Ibsley going northbound. It is dangerous to cross and there is no pavement to walk along, just the verge. Clerk to ask HCC is there are plans to improve the crossing point. Cllr Webster is to have a site meeting with Bob Brown.
      1. Consultation Papers to nominate representatives:

    12/23

    1. Dorset-wide Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Show People site allocations. Cllr Burtenshaw is preparing a response, however there are no sites short-listed for East Dorset. She will circulate response in due course and ask CCllr Heron if there is a similar consultation for Hampshire.

    12/24

    1. New Forest District Local Development Framework Sites & Development Management Development Plan Document (consultation open 20Jan-02Mar’12). Cllr Richardson volunteered to review this.

    12/25

    1. Christchurch Borough & East Dorset District Council’s Core Strategy Pre-Submission Consultation meeting 25Jan’12 (consultation open 02Apr-25Jun’12). Cllr Errington volunteered to review this.

    12/26

    1. Western Escarpment Conservation Area Action Plan (consultation open 09Jan-28Feb’12). Cllrs Errington & Shand volunteered to review this, and also encouraged all individuals to review this independently.

    12/27

    1. The Community Infrastructure Levy Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule (response by 27Feb’12). Cllr Burtenshaw proposed for EHI PC not to respond on this consultation, seconded by Cllr Richardson, all in favour.
      1. Outside Bodies:

    To approve the Councillors’ circulated reports of meetings attended and to deal with any issues arising:

    12/28

    1. Ibsley Village Hall (Cllr Webster to report on meetings 10Nov’11 & 16Jan’12). No comments.

    12/29

    1. New Forest Access Forum (5 Dec’11) – not attended. No comments.

    12/30

    1. New Forest Passenger Transport Forum (29 Nov’11) – not attended. Cllr Stokes to raise safety issues on A338 at the next meeting. Cllr Webster to ask Bob Brown (Highways) about the debris at the side of the A338 at Ibsley Bridge.

    12/31

    1. Hanson Trust (Cllr Burtenshaw 7 Dec’11). Report circulated 24Jan, Hanson are happy for the grant to be increased slightly to fund the three benches. Clerk to recirculate link to sustainable benches website. Cllr Webster raised the question on whether the Ibsley Concrete Block Plant should be closed as it has been out of use for quite a time and was therefore contrary to current planning conditions? Clerk to write to Mineral Planning authority.
    2. County/District Matters:

    12/32

    There were no reports as the District and County Councillors were unable to attend the meeting.

    1. Correspondence

    12/33

    An email had been received from the charity the Spinal Injuries Association requesting for the Parish Council’s help in advertising a forthcoming event. It was agreed by all that if the event was local it could appear on our website.

    12/34

    The Hampshire Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group returned the grant cheque of £50 as it has gone into administration. It was proposed by Cllr Burtenshaw that the cheque not be reissued to another beneficiary, seconded by Cllr Stokes. All in favour.

    The meeting closed at 9.45pm.

    Dates of forthcoming meetings to be held at Ellingham Church Hall at 7pm:-

    Parish Council                    Planning Committee

    Tuesday 28 February 2012            Tuesday 14 February 2012

    Tuesday 27 March 2012                Tuesday 13 March 2012

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s