Parish Council minutes 26 February 2013

26 February 2013
ELLINGHAM, HARBRIDGE & IBSLEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held in Ellingham Church Hall on Tuesday 26 February 2013.
Present:
Cllr Lane (Chairman)
Cllr Stokes
Cllr Errington
Cllr Webster
Cllr Spark (arrived at 8.22pm)
Cllr Richardson
Cllr Shand
CCllr Heron
DCllr Dow
Natasha Mackenzie (Clerk)

Members of the Public (2).

1. Apologies
13/21
Apologies were received by the clerk from Cllr Burtenshaw. Cllr Spark had advised he will attend as soon as possible.

2. Disclosures of Interest – none.

3. Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Tuesday 22 January 2013.
13/22
It was resolved the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Tuesday 22 January 2013 were to be signed as a true and accurate record. Proposed by Cllr Stokes and seconded by Cllr Webster. All in favour (6).
4. Chairman’s Report on Matters Arising from 22 January 2013
13/23
Parking on Verges.
Re: Cross Lanes Green. Chairman/Clerk still needs to action a sign.
Re: General parking by fishermen on verges particularly by Rockford and Snails Lakes. Land ownership map required for use by PC and Blashford Lakes Access Forum. Again to be actioned by Chairman/Clerk.

Community Payback – On agenda.

Queen’s Diamond Jubilee
One of the trees has been planted at Harbridge Green by Cllr Stokes, many thanks to him for planting and fencing the tree – photos shown. A second suitable site is still to be found.

Website
The volunteer Richard Loader has made some excellent additions to the website, such as a Parish Events page and a Parish News page – please take a look and email any further suggestions to the Clerk. Cllr Spark will be arranging a meeting with Richard to discuss his proposals for the website.

Moyles Court Barriers/Dragons Teeth
The revised detailed plan has been approved by Natural England and the Forestry Commission plan to commence the works the week of 25 March. Hanson Trust has agreed to a grant in principle, awaiting their confirmation. Once full consent and funding is in place, the Clerk will advise Moyles Court School and Newlands Farm of the proposed works.

Headlands 106 Monies.
An update and explanation about the available funds is awaited from Martin Devine. Cllr Errington to chase.

Forest Fit Club/ National Trust.
Michelle Baxter has confirmed issuance of a 6 month licence to Forest Fit Club, which is restricted to use of the commons twice a day (they previously had 3 activities a day). The NT will be monitoring the use by this club, and will review it at the end of the term.

Proposed amendments to Standing Orders.
These are still under review By Cllr Burtenshaw and will be circulated in due course.

Fishing Rights on Local Lakes (12/233)
DCllr Dow has investigated this matter with Chris Elliott, who has asked Somerley Estate to submit a Lawful Development Certificate application.

Environmental Matters
-Parish Projects for Blashford Lakes Access Forum / Access Forum has met today – this will be discussed when Sam Jones speaks later in the meeting.

-Paths for Communities Grant Scheme
Cllr Webster is investigating applying for grant funds to link the path/cycle way by the A338 at Ivy Lane junction to the permissive path by Ellingham Lake. Potentially an application could be put in to the Paths For Communities grant scheme.

-Motor Cycle Trials – Effect on Footpaths
Cllr Burtenshaw was emailing Somerley to raise concerns about condition of footpaths used in motor cycle trials and suggesting future events in February and November access the site via CEMEX entrance.

-Schedule of Maintenance
Updated schedule has been circulated and will continue to be done on a regular basis. The flailing has been carried out on the Gorley Road.

-Dockens Water – Fallen Debris
A response is awaited from Wessex Water.

-Cross Lanes Verge protection (Small Fleabane)
This is another ongoing project to protect the verges in the Cross lanes vicinity. There will need to be detailed plans and consultation with nearby residents plus formal consent from Natural England before the matter can be actioned. It will remain on the agenda.

-Brambles at Moyles Court to Cross Lanes
Tom Hordle has successfully completed the work to remove brambles from Moyles Court ford to Cross Lanes.

-Mockbeggar Lane East Dragon’s Teeth
Larger logs are to be installed to protect the verges as an alternative to permanent dragon’s teeth (pending a conclusion to other outstanding action by Newlands Farm).

-Ditch and Culvert standard response.
This is retained as an ‘ongoing item’ but amendments may need to be considered in the light of our further discussions on flooding etc. The handyman Terry Mason has been instructed to monitor the ditch north of Ibsley Service Station to try and keep it clear to help minimise flooding. CCllr Heron advised there is no vacancy on the Lengthsman Scheme at present; it will be reviewed in August. Clerk to write to Cllr Mel Kendal advising EHI would be keen to join.

-Manure pile, Mockbeggar
This has been moved a significant distance away from the ditch to prevent any leaching into the watercourse.

-Proposal of National Trust Local Guided Walk.
This has been moved to 20 April 2013 and times of the walks will be issued beforehand. Please can I encourage as many Councillors as possible to attend.

Increasing number of Councillors
Clerk is liaising with NFDC on this matter and will update in due course.

Guest speaker for Annual Parish Meeting
Lee Hulin, NT Outdoors Ranger has agreed to be the Guest Speaker this year.

5. Public Forum
13/24
An attending resident enquired on the deadline for responses to the NPA on planning application 13/98209 Land at Mockbeggar. The Clerk responded that the Parish Council have requested an extension to the deadline and will be responding by 15 March.

6. Finance
13/25
i. Payment of accounts. The following cheques were approved for payment. Proposed by Cllr Stokes, seconded by Cllr Errington. All in favour.
977 Terry Mason, Handyman – Dec invoice 48.00
978 Julian’s Press-Jan/Feb newsletter 48.75
979 Terry Mason, Handyman – Jan invoice 48.00
980 Clerk N Mackenzie, Feb salary & expenses 573.46
Online Trf For Projector project to Business Reserve 2 1500.00

13/26
ii. Financial report.
Current £3,850.96 (after above payments)
Business Reserve 1 £44,822.79 (Inc. Headlands 106 monies £28,224)
Business Reserve 2 £1,083.00

13/27
iii. Discussion of proposal for Chairman’s technology contribution (circ.11Feb13)
Cllr Lane had circulated her proposal for a payment of £350 (subject to budget availability) to be made to Cllr Burtenshaw in order for her to purchase suitable mobile technology to assist her in her role as Chairman and roving ambassador of the Parish Council. It was clarified that the proposal is for the equipment to be owned by Cllr Burtenshaw, not the Parish Council. The proposal was proposed by Cllr Stokes and seconded by Cllr Shand, all in favour. CCllr Heron advised the Clerk should firstly investigate this with the NFDC Monitoring Officer before completing the payment.

13/28
iv. Approval of precept request to NFDC for 2013/14 (circ.20Feb13)
The Clerk had circulated the precept request and confirmed the grants to the Parish Council had been agreed on 25 Feb’13 as a total of £600 (as expected). Therefore Cllr Lane proposed to approve the precept request for 2013/14 as £19,175. Seconded by Cllr Richardson, all in favour. Clerk to advise NFDC.

13/29
v. Grant application Jubilee Sailing Trust (circ.30Jan13)
The grant application received from the Jubilee Sailing Trust was discussed and all agreed that any grants issued should be for local concerns and have a direct connection with the Parish. On this occasion no grant was awarded. Cllr Stokes will formerly put in a proposal for 26 March for a grant to a local sailing club.

7. Question & Answer session with Sam Jones, Area Countryside Access Manager – South
13/30
Cllr Lane welcomed Sam Jones to the meeting, who had kindly volunteered to attend to discuss some issues with the Newlands Bridge at Linwood Bog and also summarise the discussions and any decisions from the Blashford Lakes Access Forum meeting (which had taken place that morning).

Sam detailed how Linwood Bog is requires special protection for conservation reasons, and the Newlands Bridge crosses the bog and the footpath is used as a year round route. After extensive negotiations with Natural England and the National Trust, it was agreed the bridge be replaced with a single span structure for pedestrian use only, and it be in keeping with the natural environment.

Regrettably the self closing gates (at each end of the footbridge) to keep stock and horse riders off the bridge were repeatedly vandalised, causing damage to the bridge and found dumped nearby. After discussions with the Verderers, Agisters, Natural England, National Trust, and other relevant associations, it was agreed the gates were desirable but not essential. The footbridge is designed to take heavy loads associated with pedestrians and the occasional stock, not horse and rider, and should not be used for anything other than pedestrians.

The Equestrian Association decided to pursue their right to use this bridge, however it has since been determined that they do not have the right to use this bridge on horseback, as they initially perceived. CCllr Heron advised he had not had any issues raised directly with him on this matter.

The wood used had to be strong enough to support a large single span bridge, and whilst HCC Rights of Way try to use local suppliers wherever possible, the material used here are a type of African teak.

13/31
Sam detailed the discussions at the Blashford Lakes Access Forum meeting that morning, which identified a list of potential projects which the attendees then prioritised and began to explore potential funding opportunities. Details as follows:-

• Extension to the cycle/pedestrian route north of Ivy Lane to link up cycle route and access gate to Blashford Lakes. HCC Highways require £7,000 for a feasibility study, and HWT have indicated they will allow access through the gate.
• Access to the Wessex Water owned bridge, with Wessex Water accepting public liability ad infinitum, and the permanent diversion of FP703 over this bridge. Sam is to contact Wessex Water to try and finalise these discussions in the next two weeks, and agree a reasonable sum of money for their agreement to this.
• A number of footpaths have been highlighted for improvements, 701, 718 and 703. Sam will look into costs for improvements and take it back to the working group to prioritise.

Sam advised there are many potential options of obtaining some funding for these projects, either via Paths for Communities or the Small Grants Scheme. These will be investigated by Sam, and he hopes to ‘get to work’ on these possibilities and spend the monies held by the Parish Council for improvements in the Blashford Lakes area.

Cllr Stokes raised concerns on the condition of FP23, and Sam advised that HCC ROW responsibilities are for the surfacing, ditching etc not the vegetation, as this is the responsibility of the adjoining landowner.

Sam encouraged that any questions to which he doesn’t have the answer immediately, to be put to the Clerk and she will forward them to Sam for a response. Sam will forward a statement of intent for the Clerk to be able to provide the auditor with, as EHI PC were criticised for holding a large credit balance.

8. Crime in the Parish – none.

9. Environmental Matters:
13/32
i. Footpaths. Further to the Blashford Lakes Access Forum meeting earlier the same day, it was agreed for the Clerk to write to John Durnell (HIOWWT Head of Conservation – West Hampshire) once cleared with Fiona Bowles of Wessex Water. Cllr Errington will assist the Clerk with drafting a letter.

ii. Ditches, culverts & overhanging vegetation: none.

13/33
iii. Community Payback update. Cllr Lane advised the Clerk is asking for suggestions of where litter picking could take place within the Parish. Cllr Stokes mentioned the area between the bridges at Harbridge has litter following the flooding, however it was determined this is a 60mph limit – Clerk to enquire if this could be actioned by Community Payback. Cllr Richardson volunteered to review the Parish Council owned verges for litter. Clerk to allow Cllr Richardson access to verges maps.

10. Community Matters:
13/34
i. Discuss HARAH report on Drop-In Event held on 20 Sep’12 (circ.21Jan13) and agree next steps. It was discussed and agreed by all that Mags Wylie should be approached for advice on what she recommends the next step for EHI to be. Clerk to do. The sites mentioned in her report were reviewed at the meeting. CCllr Heron advised he has observed there have been several parishes within Hampshire where successful affordable housing schemes have been implemented, and reiterated how important it is to ensure there is housing available for local people. He encouraged the Parish Council to continue investigating this project.

13/35
ii. Ellingham Show 10 August 2013 – decide whether to attend. It was discussed and agreed the Parish Council would have a stand again this year; regrettably the Clerk will not be able to attend this year but she will ensure all is in order before taking her annual leave. CCllr Heron kindly offered to come along and be available on the stand for a couple of hours, which was gratefully received by the Parish Council. The working party was appointed as Cllrs Lane, Stokes, Webster and Richardson. Cllr Lane to organise the first meeting.

11. Consultation Papers (to approve responses or agree attendees as appropriate): none

12. Outside Bodies:
13/36
To approve the Councillor’s circulated reports of meetings attended and to deal with any issues arising:
i. Ibsley Village Hall official minutes 10Jan’13 – unattended
No issues raised on this reports.

13. County/District Matters:
13/37
i. Reports from County & District Councillors.
CCllr Heron detailed there is lots of work being undertaken to try and repair the many potholes that have resulted from the wet, cold weather. Should any potholes have been missed in your area, please let Bob Brown know as the group working on them may have moved to another area. Have a look at the website to see if they are listed as known by HCC.

CCllr Heron talked about the main areas which are big costs that HCC fund, such as Adult Social Care and Child Protection. The Highways budget is just 3% of HCC’s overall funding for the community. He would like to attend a meeting after May and show some slides to the members before a meeting. Clerk to organise.

13/38
DCllr Dow advised there will be a full council meeting at Lyndhurst to approve the precepts; he confirmed the district part of the Council Tax requirement has been frozen this year. There will be a rise in Council Tenants’ rates by 4.5%.

14. Correspondence
13/39
Details had been circulated by the Clerk of the up and coming HALC conference – it was discussed and agreed by all that no-one would attend from EHI PC.

The meeting closed at 9.16pm.

Dates of forthcoming meetings to be held at Ellingham Church Hall at 7.30pm:-

Parish Council Planning Committee
Tuesday 26 March 2013 Tuesday 12 March 2013
Tuesday 9 April 2013
Annual Parish Meeting
Tuesday 23 April 2013