Planning Committee minutes 18 June 2013

18 June 2013

ELLINGHAM, HARBRIDGE & IBSLEY PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE

Minutes of the meeting held in Ellingham Church Hall on Tuesday 18 June 2013.

Present: Cllr Spark – Chairman Cllr Errington Cllr Burtenshaw Cllr Lane Cllr Shand Cllr Stokes Cllr Webster Cllr Richardson

In attendance Natasha Mackenzie – Clerk

Members of the public (9)

1. Apologies – none.

2. Election of Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Planning Committee 13/80P Cllr Spark stepped down as Chairman.  He then volunteered himself to perform the role for the next year.  This was proposed by Cllr Stokes, seconded by Cllr Shand, all in favour (8).

13/81P Cllr Errington stepped down as Vice Chairman.  He then volunteered himself to perform the role for the next year.  This was proposed by Cllr Richardson, seconded by Cllr Lane, all in favour (8).

3. Declarations of interest 13/82P Cllr Stokes declared an interest in agenda item 7. NFDC 13/10513 and he completed the form.  He will move to the public seating area and speak as a member of the public for this agenda item.  He will not vote.

4. Minutes of the last meeting (14 May 2013) 13/83P The minutes of the last Planning Committee meeting on 14 May 2013 were approved and signed as correct.  Proposed by Cllr Webster, seconded by Cllr Stokes.  All in favour (8).

5. Matters arising. 13/84P 12/95P – TPOs within parish.  Two sets of plans for TPO 1094.  The tree team have advised Clerk both TPOs have been incorrectly issued with same number, and they will be reviewed in due course when resources are available.  Awaiting response from Liz.

12/113P – Projector & Screen at Ellingham Church Hall.  Now on Parish Council agenda/MA.

12/204P – resurfacing at Moyles Court ford.  The works have been completed.

12/175P Adlams Plantation.  Clerk has sent request for this wood to be TPO’d.  Liz Beckett advised she has liaised with Rosemary Box and this wood is within a s.106 stating the wood needs to be managed for a period of 80 years by systematic thinning and removal of Turkey oaks.  When it is finalised, Liz will review the s.106 and advise the clerk her opinion. Awaiting response from Liz.

13/61P – Ring-barking to trees at Merrihill.  Clerk has raised concerns with the owner and provided contact details for the NPA tree team.

13/69P – Leaflet on when a tree application is needed circulated to all by the Clerk on 17/6.

13/72P – Bridge access at Cross Lanes verge.  This is under the Parish Council MA.

13/73P – Former little Chef applications – circulated & on agenda under ‘Decisions Received’.

13/74P – all consultations now under Parish Council agenda/MA.

13/75P – question re: ConBloc site, Ellingham Drove to be raised By Cllr Burtenshaw at Hanson trust meeting on 20 June.

13/76P – concrete lamp posts in Cuffnells Close – Clerk is investigating with HCC Highways if they can be removed.

13/78P – Nutwell Wood, unauthorised Chicken Shed – someone has already reported this and it is being investigated under EN/13/0339.

6. Public Forum 13/85P Questions were raised about the character mapping project and planning criteria being carried out in Ringwood and whether the same consultation was taking place in our Parish. Councillor Spark outlined the process of character mapping and some detail but explained that given the recent community plan and the diversity of the parish it was not a likely project for the near future.

7. Development control and TPO applications. 13/86P NPA TPO/13/0327 Woodland adj. To Wychwood, Bleak Hill, Harbridge – various works.  Cllr Shand explained the location and showed many photos of the existing woodland.  The applicant, Mr Dean, had instigated the TPO on the whole wood and has completed a woodland management course; this application is to manage it over a 5 year period removing dead and fallen trees and reduce the dense holly by 20%.  Mr Dean explained there are many veteran trees; 8 oaks which are 250 to 300 years old, many mature birch trees of a similar age, a number of 100 year old oaks and some birch.  There is no formal plan at present, and the dense bracken will not be treated however the tree officer suggested bringing some pigs in to help control the bracken.

Cllr Errington proposed to raise no objections.  Seconded by Cllr Richardson, all in favour (8).

13/87P NFDC 13/10513 Land at North End Lane, Harbridge Green, Harbridge – agricultural livestock barn; extend track; hardstanding.  Cllr Stokes moved to the public seating area. Cllr Richardson explained the location on aerial maps, showing the plot of land and highlighting an anomaly of slightly different sites of the proposed barn.  He explained this is currently an empty field, and the proposal is for an open fronted barn to house animals, dimensions 30m wide by 15m deep and height of 6.5m (height was estimated from the scale on the drawings).  It would be sited in the top far corner at the highest point of the plot of land, and the barn would be highly visible at this vantage point.  There is a basic track to the plot of land, but it would need work to make it suitable for farm vehicles.  It was noted that North End Lane is a narrow single track road with no passing places, which makes it difficult for larger vehicles. The proposal states a herd of cattle would be housed in the barn, but concerns were raised on how they would be looked after, as there is no stockman’s cottage and currently no water or electric on site.  As no one is permitted to live on site, this would result in an increase of traffic movements to attend to the herd. The design and access statement was reviewed, and it was noted that a previous agricultural prior notification 09/94990 was granted for a barn to the southern side of the same plot of land.  There was no evidence that any work had commenced on this barn when the assessing Councillor visited the site. The track mentioned earlier does not head towards this part of the plot either.  Cllr Burtenshaw advised that under permitted agricultural development a barn of up to 465 sq.m can be constructed, without needing formal planning permission.  It was also noted that currently there is no existing herd of cattle on the site, as intimated in the D&A statement.  Another concern was of potential contamination to the watercourses and wells, as much of the Harbridge area is not on mains water. Residents were commended on their comprehensive letters of objection to the Planning Authority on this matter, especially where the specific three policies were dissected. After further discussion, Cllr Richardson proposed to recommend refusal under option 4, for the following reasons:- • The size and massing of the barn in its’ proposed location would be visually dominating and detrimental to the surrounding area; • A barn has already been granted under agricultural prior notification but no work has started on this, and it is unclear if this proposal is in addition to or to replace the previous barn; • There are no facilities and no permission for someone to live on site to look after the herd; • There is currently no existing herd on site, contrary to what the Design & Access statement intimates; • The Planning Committee felt that the objections raised by Mr Norman and his comments submitted online very accurately reflected the application contra to planning policy and would encourage the case officer to take note. Seconded by Cllr Shand, all in favour (7). Cllr Stokes returned to his seat as a Parish Councillor.

13/86P NPA 13/98521 Alice Lisle Inn, Gorley Road, Rockford – illuminated & non-illuminated signage and NPA 13/98520 Alice Lisle Inn, Gorley Road, Rockford – illuminated & non-illuminated signage (Listed Building Consent).  These items will be discussed together. Cllr Lane showed on the drawings the existing and the proposed changes to signage and lighting.  She explained the location of all of the signs which were closely examined and concerns were raised as follows:- • 6 x coach lamps – whilst they may be more aesthetically pleasing, there are no details included of wattage or mention of shrouding the lamp to minimise the light pollution.  The current floodlights only have a 5% spill angle.  The lights are only on during opening hours; • Large sign on gable end – this was thought to be oversized and pointless as it would only be visible across the lake to the west of the building; • The two A frame chalkboards are only to be displayed within the curtilege of the public house, not on the adjacent green by the Gorley Road; Cllr Spark wanted to recommend a split decision as follows:- The Parish Council are in favour of the following signs:- • Sign A – but have concerns that there is no mention of the lamp wattage and would like to request the lamps be shrouding to keep light spill within the curtilege of the public house; • Sign B • Sign Ci • Sign Cii • Sign D • Sign E – as long as it is sited within the curtilege of the public house • Sign F • Sign I – it was noted the down lighting of the sign is a distinct improvement on the existing totem. The Parish Council are not in favour of the following signs:- • Sign Gi – it is of excessive size, not in keeping with a listed building and only visible from the lake; • Sign Gii – it is of excessive size, not in keeping with a listed building and only visible from the lake; • Sign H – it is of excessive size, not in keeping with a listed building and only visible from the beer garden to the south; • Sign J – would prefer the sign to be the same size as the existing sign. Cllr Spark proposed to recommend refusal under option 4, with the ‘in favour’ and ‘against’ reasons detailed above included.  Seconded by Cllr Shand, 7 in favour, 1 abstention.

8. Decisions received from NFDC & NPA (circulated prior to agenda approved): 13/87P NPA 13/98390 Butts Lawn, Mockbeggar – granted stc NPA 13/98270 Former Little Chef (McDonald’s Restaurant Ltd) – refused NPA 13/98259 Former Little Chef (McDonald’s Restaurant Ltd) – split decision

9. Appeals & Enforcement (circulated prior to agenda approved): none.

10. Licensing act 2003 – Minor Variation Premises License (S41A; Old Somerley (The Walled Garden) to extend hours for regulated entertainment & refreshments to 01.00hrs, for six events per year.  13/88P This was discussed, and some concerns were raised over potential increased noise levels.  It was agreed that should this happen, Environmental Health should be contacted.  Cllr Burtenshaw proposed to not make any representation on this variation, seconded by Cllr Errington.  5 in favour, 3 abstentions.

11. Correspondence 13/89P The Clerk detailed a letter from a resident who is trying to trace an old map she lent to someone invloved with the RAF Ibsley revival.  Clerk to send copy of letter to Cllr Errington.

12. Other Business 13/90P The Clerk advised clay excavation will commence at Bleak Hill towards the end of June.

13/91P Cllr Burtenshaw advised she is aware a temporary planning permission for a mobile home at Cobley Wood has expired, and she will approach the applicant re: reapplying.

13/92P Cllr Errington advised the rules have been massively extended for permitted development rights; Clerk to circulate the email from Steve Avery.

13/93P Cllr Richardson enquired if anyone knew who may own the land to the north of Ibsley Village Hall, as the newly repaired fence has been cut.  Two names of potential owners were given.  It was suggested a land ownership document be created.  Clerk to do.

13/94P Some observations on local activity were briefly discussed, and agreed that they will be monitored.  Cllr Spark requested a letter be sent to the owners of Barn 1 in Lomer Lane in relation to the equestrian activity being operated from an agricultural barn.  Clerk to investigate.

Meeting closed at 9.30pm.

The next Planning Committee meeting will be held on Tuesday 9th July 2013 at 7.30pm in Ellingham Church Hall.