Draft Parish Council minutes 23 July 2013

These minutes are in draft form, and will be on the agenda to be approved on 24 September 2013.

23 July 2013

ELLINGHAM, HARBRIDGE & IBSLEY PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held in Ellingham Church Hall on Tuesday 23 July 2013.

Present:

Cllr Burtenshaw (Chairman)

Cllr Lane

Cllr Errington

Cllr Webster

Cllr Stokes

Cllr Spark

Cllr Richardson

Cllr Shand

DCllr Dow

Natasha Mackenzie (Clerk)

 

Members of the Public (3).

 

1.    Apologies

13/102

Apologies were assumed by the clerk from CCllr Heron, as he was not in attendance.

 

2.    Disclosures of Interest – none.

 

3.    Minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2013.

13/103

It was resolved the minutes of the meeting on 25 June 2013 were to be signed as a true and accurate record.  Proposed by Cllr Spark and seconded by Cllr Shand.  All in favour (8).

4.    Chairman’s Report on Matters Arising from 28 May 2013

13/104

-Parking on Verges. (13/95)

Temporary signs as suggested by NE erected last week by Clerk. Permission obtained from Cross Lanes Chapel for sign on their gate and idea welcomed by Rev Lewis. However, we will look to place permanent signs in the foreseeable future.

A detailed scheme for protecting the Green to be prepared for possible grant aid from Hanson Trust.

 

-Land ownership map

Still to be actioned by Chairman/Clerk but may be assisted by HWT – see agenda item

 

-Queen’s Diamond Jubilee

Awaiting report on health of tree before committing to expenditure on plaque.

 

-Website

Ongoing monitoring with Richard Loader, our website community volunteer.

 

-Moyles Court Barriers/Dragons Teeth

Clerk finalising payments and requesting agreed grant from Hanson Trust.

 

-Fishing Rights on Local Lakes (Mockbeggar Lake) (12/233)

Item proposed to be moved to Planning Committee.

 

-Environmental Matters

i) Possible grants for a circular footpath/cycleway. There seem to be a number of options being considered for the same project.  A response from Paths for Communities Grant Scheme had been received but sadly to the effect that the project was not suitable for funding as it does not link up definitive footpaths (Blashford Lakes paths are permissive)

Other sources of funding are being investigated including the Sustainable Transport Grant Fund, the Hanson Charitable Trust and Small Grants Scheme Countryside Access. However details of costs and exact proposed routes are required beforehand and Cllr Richardson is continuing his research into alternative quotes for a feasibility study.

ii)   Ditch and Culvert standard response.

The matter is ‘ongoing’ by Cllrs Errington and Burtenshaw.

 

iii ) Lengthman’s Scheme

The Clerk has been in contact with Cllr Woodward (HCC) The Council is now aware of the PC’s interest and a decision will be taken at the end of 2013 to see if the scheme is to be extended. Clerk to circulate email and report from HCC.

 

-Increasing number of Councillors.

To be re-evaluated by Chairman and Clerk in January 2014 in accordance with necessary time-scales prior to the next election (in May 2015).

 

-Cost of issuing paper agendas (13/74)

As suggested at the last meeting, the Clerk has contacted Grainne O’Rourke, NFDC monitoring officer, about whether sending out agendas etc. by email is acceptable. The purist view is that this can only be done by post in accordance with legislation but at the time of the Act in 1972, electronic mail was not the norm. The advice received is that all agendas, minutes and all documents can be sent out by electronic mail unless requested otherwise. Cllr Burtenshaw proposed an amendment to our Standing Orders to this effect.  Seconded by Cllr Spark, all in favour (8).

 

-Annual Insurance (13/88)

Clerk is working on updating the asset register and will circulate for approval in due course.

 

-Widening of Single Track Forest Road Linwood (13/94)

Following concerns raised by Richard Deacon at the last meeting, I have requested a site meeting with HCC Highways Design and CCllr Heron but no date has yet been fixed.

 

5.    Public Forum – none.

 

6.    Finance

13/105

i.    Payment of accounts.  The following cheques were approved for payment.  Proposed by Cllr Stokes, seconded by Cllr Richardson.  All in favour (8).

1007  SLCC-new edition of Arnold Baker book           63.00

1008  Zurich Municipal – annual insurance       386.05

1009  Cllr Shand-travel expenses          7.20

1010  N Mackenzie July salary & expenses        614.04

1011  Viking-stationery       258.98

1012  BT Clerks phone         109.51

 

13/106

ii.   Financial report.

Current £4,454.54 (after above payments)

Business Reserve 1 £45,793.83 (Inc. S.106 monies £28,224)

Business Reserve 2 £1,083.21

 

7.    Parish Council Matters:

13/107

i.    Standing Orders – update.  Cllrs Burtenshaw and Lane have been working on this and liaised with the Clerk at Ringwood Town Council for his comments on our current Standing Orders.  Terry Simpson’s comments were they are as he would expect for a Parish Council of our size and are in line with comparable councils.  He also advised NALC are in the process of updating their model Standing Orders and advised not to spend any more time on them at present, as there will be changes.  Cllr Burtenshaw will circulate a draft to all with a view to adopting them at the meeting on 24 September 2013, and she will include an appendix on Planning Applications, LDCs, etc as suggested by Cllr Webster.  Clerk to put on agenda.

13/108

ii.   Freedom of Information Act.  Following the Chairman’s attendance to a NFALC meeting, she wanted to remind all members about this Act and to be aware of it at all times in written communications, such as emails.

13/109

iii.  Payment of Allowances for Parish Councils.  The document had been circulated to all members and Cllr Burtenshaw proposed to not make any changes to how the Parish Council operate at present, i.e. no regular payments to be made to the members.  Seconded by Cllr Lane, all in favour (8).

13/110

iv.   Ellingham Church Hall fixed equipment for meetings.  Cllr Errington detailed the difficulties in getting the full details from the blind company approached by the Church Hall, advising he will be seeking out another company for a quote.  Cllr Spark will obtain details of the proposed specification for the laptop from Cllr Errington and obtain a quote for the Parish Council laptop.  Cllr Burtenshaw advised she would like costs circulated prior to the meeting in September in order for this to progress.  Clerk to put on the agenda.

 

8.    Crime in the Parish

13/111

Vandalism to the notice board near Red Shoot pub.  The spray painting of the notice board near the Red Shoot Pub has been reported to the police and the handyman has carried out a ‘clean up’ to it.

 

9.    Environmental Matters:

i.    Footpaths.  None.

 

13/112

ii.   Ditches, culverts & overhanging vegetation: the need for the adjoining landowner to be aware of their responsibilities to cut back their own vegetation was discussed, especially where there is large lake ownership within the Parish.

 

13/113

ii.   HCC Highways Schedule of Maintenance; site meeting notes 3 Jul’13.  The report of the site meeting with Cllrs Burtenshaw, Richardson and Bob Brown has been circulated and completion of them is being monitored.  A large pothole was reported on the triangle of land at Moyles Court ford and another at the triangle of land at North End Farm.  Clerk to report.

 

13/114

iii.  Community Payback (CP)-consider proposed tasks (circ.17 Jul’13).  The Clerk summarised the report she had circulated of the site meeting.  It was agreed by all it is not a correct use of funds to pull ragwort on privately owned land; however the Clerk can advise large local landowners of the ragwort pulling capabilities provided by CP.  The danger of the weed was discussed, and how the seeds are dispersed.

 

The Clerk detailed how the CP team can clear the debris from the ditch from Newtown Lane to Ibsley Service Station (approx 2 days work) to help to try and prevent the flooding seen last winter, however the land owner should be clearing this area soon.  Clerk to check with Bob Brown.   Cllr Burtenshaw proposed to trial using the service for two days to carry out a litter pick in the Alice Lisle area and remove debris from the ditch north of Ibsley Service Station.  Seconded by Cllr Lane, all in favour (8).  Clerk to organise.

 

13/115

iv.   Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust-contributing to a local land ownership map.  Clerk detailed the request for the Parish Council to provide knowledge of local land ownership.  Cllr Burtenshaw volunteered to carry out his task, on the proviso we get access to their information within our Parish.  Clerk to establish information will be shared.

 

13/116

v.    National Highways & Transport survey-requires completion.  Cllr Burtenshaw briefed the members of what the object of the survey is, and advised she is happy to complete it on behalf of the Parish Council.

 

13/117

vi.   Forest Fit Club – comments for possible licence renewal.  Cllr Burtenshaw thanked Michelle Baxter (National Trust-NT) for attending to answer any questions which may be raised at this meeting.  Michelle advised she is expecting a formal application for renewal from the club in the next few days, and she has not been in receipt of any complaints recently.  She advised she would like the opinions of the Parish Council to help the NT to make an informed decision.

 

Cllr Burtenshaw explained she had been given hard copies of 66 emails addressed to the NT, and it was established that these broadly relate to a handful of incidents.  Michelle Baxter summarised she has received approx. 150 correspondences on this club, and in the region of 70% are supportive of the Club. She is aware of a splinter group that runs separately from the Club, as due to the time changes of the sessions, they are unable to attend.  These people are using paths that the NT would not licence for such activities; however Michelle explained it is not possible to regulate non-commercial activities on the commons, such as groups of friends meeting up to exercise.

 

Opinions were sought from the members, and the ‘boot camp’ style was generally thought inappropriate for such a location, due to disturbance to wildlife and other users.  The importance of a harmonic balance between all of the different types of leisure activities was discussed, as was the idea of the Forest Fit club being easily distinguishable by bibs or such like to avoid them being confused with any other group which are thought to be operating on Ibsley Common.

 

Michelle advised since the licence has been issued, the NT have carried out unannounced spot checks on the Club, and have found no issues.  Only on one occasion was the Club audible from a distance, and they were contacted immediately and asked to keep the noise levels down.

 

After extensive discussion, also involving two attending members of the public who were Forest Fit Club members, Cllr Burtenshaw summarised that not knowing the exact existing terms & conditions it is difficult to comment on those specifically.  However, the existing terms & conditions do seem to control the area the Club exercises in, the number of sessions and their times of operation.  Cllr Burtenshaw encouraged the NT to consider an open forum to allow people to voice their opinions, and also give the Forest Fit Club the opportunity to be heard as well.  She requested that the NT keep the Parish Council informed of any new complaints as they arise and of the outcome of the complaint from the Commoners Defence Association.  Clerk to liaise and follow up with Michelle Baxter.

 

10.   Community Matters:

13/118

i.    Ellingham Show 10 August 2013.  Cllr Lane detailed the stand is in the same location as last year, stand L4.  It was agreed the new banner is to be sited also on Shaves Green facing the opposite direction.  Clerk to action ASAP.  The Clerk will ensure all equipment is passed to Cllr Richardson before the Show.

 

13/119

ii.   Newsletter-Summer edition.  This is in the process of being fine-tuned and will be circulated to all Councillors for any comments in the next day or so, before going to press on Monday 29 July.

 

11.   Consultation Papers (to approve responses or agree attendees as appropriate):

13/120

i.    NPA Draft Landscape Action Plan and Landscape Character Assessment (Cllr Errington); close date 31 Jul’13.  Cllr Errington advised this will be a live document and will be able to be updated.  He will circulate his response once it has been submitted.

 

13/121

ii.   NFDC Draft Local Enforcement Plan (circ.8Jul13); response by 16 Aug’13-volunteer required.  Cllr Spark volunteered to look at this consultation and circulate his response to all members.

 

12.   Outside Bodies:

13/122

To approve the Councillor’s circulated reports of meetings attended and to deal with any issues arising:

i.    Hanson Trust meeting on 20 June 2013.  Cllr Burtenshaw had circulated her report and no issues were raised.

 

13.   County/District Matters:

i.    Reports from County & District Councillors.

CCllr Heron was not in attendance and DCllr Dow advised nothing further to report.

 

13.   Correspondence – none.

 

The meeting closed at 9.20pm.

 

Dates of forthcoming meetings to be held at Ellingham Church Hall at 7.30pm:-

 

Parish Council                      Planning Committee

No meeting in August                Tuesday 6 August 2013

Tuesday 24 September 2013           Tuesday 10 September 2013