Planning Committee minutes 6 August 2013

6 August 2013

ELLINGHAM, HARBRIDGE & IBSLEY PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE

Minutes of the meeting held in Ellingham Church Hall on Tuesday 6 August 2013.

Present: Cllr Spark – Chairman Cllr Errington Cllr Burtenshaw Cllr Lane Cllr Shand Cllr Stokes Cllr Webster Cllr Richardson

In attendance Natasha Mackenzie – Clerk

Members of the public (11)

1. Apologies – none.

2. Declarations of interest 13/106P Cllr Errington declared non-pecuniary interests in NPA 13/98648 Broom Copse & 13/98587 Rockford Farm; he will remain to speak and vote.

13/107P Cllr Lane declared a non-pecuniary interest in NFDC 13/10822 Blashford Manor; she will remain to speak and vote.

3. Minutes of the last meeting (9 July 2013) 13/108P The minutes of the last Planning Committee meeting on 9 July 2013 were approved and signed as correct.  Proposed by Cllr Webster, seconded by Cllr Richardson.  All in favour (8).

4. Matters arising. 13/109P 12/95P – TPOs within parish.  Two sets of plans for TPO 1094.  The tree team have advised Clerk both TPOs have been incorrectly issued with same number, and they will be reviewed in due course when staffing resources are available.  Clerk has chased Liz Beckett again for an update.

12/175P Adlams Plantation.  Tree Officer is satisfied that existing s.106 covers a thinning operation every 5 years of exotic species such as turkey oak, and this site does not meet criteria for TPO.

13/61P – Ring-barking to trees at Merrihill.  Clerk has raised concerns with the owner by letter and provided contact details for the NPA tree team.  No update at present.

13/76P – resident request of removal of concrete lamp posts in Cuffnells Close – HCC Highways have confirmed they can be removed and work should be carried out in next few months.

13/91P – mobile home at Cobley Wood.  The temporary planning permission expired in April 2013 and the applicant is in the process of submitting a new application.  It has been added to the Enforcement list.

13/94P – Equestrian activities at Barn 1, Lomer Lane.  NFDC Enforcement has advised the barn which has been sold is not in breach of planning control, as new the new owner intends to use the barn for agricultural purpose for the grazing of big horses (maybe shire types) in their ownership. This will not require planning consent.  The other barn which is being used for Livery is still under investigation and the Enforcement Officer is awaiting a meeting with the owner’s agent to discuss a way forward.

13/100P – NPA 13/0051 Forest Corner, Mockbeggar – construction of decking; no further action by NPA.  It was agreed that the Clerk write to the resident in relation to these matters and update NPA Enforcement about the letting advertisement of the mobile home; however as the NPA have now issued an Enforcement Notice no further action will be taken on this by the Parish Council.

13/101P – Concerns were discussed on the length of time which issues which are reported to NFDC Enforcement have been outstanding for; once since 1997.  It was agreed that Cllr Burtenshaw will draft a letter to NFDC copying in David Groom; the Clerk will circulate it to all for comments before being sent.

13/102P – The ragwort on Rockford Green is prolific this year. Clerk has spoken with the manager on 6 August, he has advised he will attempt to clear Rockford Green by the end of this week.

13/105P – The members were advised theauction of the late Mr Loader’s farm at Bleak Hill has been delayed.

13/105aP – A new access has been opened up on the Gorley Road between Forelock Farm and Cross Lanes, Cllr Burtenshaw has liaised with the Somerley Estate and encouraged them to include this as part of a Lawful Development Certificate application to include the fishing rights.

5. Public Forum – none.

6. Development control and TPO applications. 13/110P NPA 13/98587 Rockford Farm, Rockford – internal alterations; replacement windows (Listed Building Consent).  Cllr Burtenshaw explained this application is for Listed Building Consent, and the Listed Building Officer has advised the Parish Council comments are appreciated.  Cllr Burtenshaw detailed the location and showed external photos of the Grade II listed buildings which date back to the late 18th century, outlining the proposed works to the property.  The windows and doors of the house and the dairy will be repaired and restored to preserve the character of the building.  Internally, as many of the original features are to be reinstated, and the 1960s features removed.

Cllr Burtenshaw proposed to recommend permission under option 3.  Seconded by Cllr Lane, all in favour (8).

13/110P NPA CONS/13/0435 Heather Cottage, Gorley Road, Rockford – fell Monterey cypress.  Cllr Stokes detailed the location of the property and of the tree (overhanging the main Highwood Road opposite Rockford Green).  The tree recently lost a large limb, and the NPA Tree Officer comments are that it only has a little live crown left and has begun to dismantle into the garden.  As the tree is dangerous, Cllr Stokes proposed to raise no objections, and the Parish Council would ask for the applicant to be guided on the species of the replacement tree (not yew as harmful to stock).

13/111P NPA 13/98648 Broom Copse, Ellingham Drove – retention & continued use of mobile home for agricultural purposes for a temporary period of 5 yrs.  As Cllr Spark was presenting this application and the Vice Chairman, Cllr Errington, had declared a non-pecuniary interest, Cllr Burtenshaw took over as Chair for this application.

Cllr Spark detailed the location of the land and showed a map and photos of the site, including the existing mobile home and barn.  The mobile home was originally put on the site as canteen and toilet facilities whilst the barn was being constructed, and it is sited on the edge of the woodland.  Many appendices were submitted with the planning application, which build up a detailed picture of the applicant’s commitment to the commoning way of life, his wish to continue this right and how it contributes to and preserves the unique character of the New Forest.

The applicant, Tom Hordle, detailed how he has to be on site in order to look after his cattle (currently 17/18 and hoping to build up to a herd of 40) which are turned out onto the commons, exercising the commoning rights attached to his land.  The site has a large field immediately adjacent to the Barn which Mr Hordle uses for his cattle. He needs to be on hand for calving, providing medical treatment to those animals which have suffered during this process. He uses the Barn to take ill animals off the forest, and be able to monitor their recuperation during this period as well as bring all his cattle herd ‘in’ over the winter months. It is his intention, when he expands the herd to put them to the Bull throughout the year rather than just for spring calving.

Mr Hordle also has a logging business and a significant quantity of valuable machinery on site. He has previously experienced unwanted visitors at night, and he feels a presence on the land helps deter any potential vandals and maintain the security of the site.

During an extensive discussion, the following was established:- – 5 years temporary permission have been applied for as opposed to the standard 3 years as the applicant feels this is the length of time he needs to reside in the home until he is more established; – The mobile home is above, and was not affected by, the recent flooding. – the Parish Council would want the temporary permission tied to the applicant, not to the land and it’s commoning activities; – there is no water on site, it is brought in by tanks.  There is a septic tank and gas in the mobile home; – the Parish Council would like the NPA to review the Business Plan; – The Parish Council commended Tom and Richard Hordle on the excellent application they have submitted, for its’ extensive detail.

Cllr Spark proposed to recommend permission under option 3 with the following reasons:-

– The 5 years temporary permission should be tied to the applicant, Mr Tom Hordle, and be revoked should Mr Hordle leave the land or cease his commoning activities; – The Parish Council would accept a three year permission. – The NPA fully review the Business Plan.

Seconded by Cllr Richardson, 7 in favour, 1 abstention.

13/112P NPA 13/98663 Eastfield, New Road, Mockbeggar – replacement garage.  Cllr Richardson showed the location on an aerial map and showed photos from ‘StreetView’, as there were technology problems with his own photos.  Amended plans and Planning Officer Briefing note have been received, as the NPA Planning Officer had requested further information.  Referring to the amended proposed elevations, Cllr Richardson advised there are several outbuildings at the end of the garden, one of which is a single-storey garage to be demolished for the proposed two-storey outbuilding.  A second single-storey garage sited half way between the house and the outbuildings will also be demolished.

The proposed outbuilding is sited at the end of their garden at the most southern point, close to their boundary, with a double garage and stairs to a room above which will have a total of 5 velux-style rooflights.  The room above would be used as a consulting room, with an estimated 10 visitors a week.  The business is currently operated from the house.  There is a false ‘hay-loft’ style door centralised above the double garage doors, for aesthetic purposes only.  It was established from the drawings the estimated size of the outbuilding would be 8m x 6m, which a ridge height of over 5m.  The mature laurel hedge would be removed to allow access to maintain the outbuilding.

The immediate neighbour advised their preference is for the high mature laurel hedge on the southern boundary to remain, not be replaced by fencing as per the proposal, and the ‘hay-loft’ style door be removed.

Concerns were voiced by the members on the excessive height and size of the outbuilding, and potential loss of amenity value and neighbours’ privacy.  Also, the house is a single storey bungalow, and there were concerns on the outbuilding ridge height being similar to the house.

Cllr Errington proposed to recommend refusal under option 2, for the following reasons:-

– There is insufficient detail and measurements on the drawings submitted; – The Parish Council would prefer the false ‘hay-loft’ style door be removed; – The overall height of the outbuilding be reduced as it is excessive compared to the house; – The outbuilding should be sited further away from the southern boundary to allow the mature laurel hedge to remain.

Seconded by Cllr Richardson, all in favour (8).

13/113P NFDC 13/10862 Land of Hucklesbrook North, Salisbury Road – Create water supply for agricultural livestock & enhance bio-diversity of natural environment.  Cllr Shand explained the location and showed photos of the site and a plan of where the proposed pond would be sited, and the spoil bank.  The applicants were present; they explained how this is a long-term project for their family to enjoy with the idea to keep sheep and chickens on the site whilst creating a natural environment to encourage the flora and fauna.  The site is 17.5 acres, and the pond would be just over 1 acre; there are no plans for open fishing to take place in the pond.  The pond would be dug to a depth of up to 3m.

It was discussed and concerns were raised about the large volume of gravel to be excavated due to the size of the pond, and due to this it was queried if this should be a minerals application.  The Environment Agency had been consulted by the NFDC , however no response had been received at the time of this meeting.

Cllr Spark proposed to recommend refusal under option 4 for the following reasons:-

– The proposal is a much larger scale than a pond; – There is no information on the proposed stock to be kept on site; – Due to the size and depth of the pond, potentially this should be a minerals extraction application; – At the time of the Planning Committee meeting, there is no response from the Environment Agency; – There is insufficient information to make an informed determination.

Seconded by Cllr Stokes, all in favour (8).

13/114P NFDC 13/10822 Blashford Manor, Salisbury Road, Blashford – Use of former barns as 4 holiday lets (Use Class C1); bin & cycle store; assoc. parking; new access onto A338.  Cllr Errington detailed the location, advising this application is the same as 13/10255 with the exception of the access onto the A338.  The Highways Engineer has been consulted by the applicant.  Maps of the existing access and the proposed access were compared on the projector, and the difficultly of exiting on the fast-moving A338 were discussed.  The Clerk read out an email from the Highways Engineer, which summarised that in principle they are happy with the closure of the southern exit, the northern exit being moved south slightly and widened to allow for two way vehicular access.

Cllr Errington proposed to recommend permission under option 1 with delegated powers to the NFDC, as it is more appropriate for HCC Highways to comment.

Seconded by Cllr Richardson, all in favour (8).

13/115P NFDC 13/10917 Harbridge Farm, Harbridge – retention of single-storey extensions.  Cllr Lane detailed the location, showed photos of the existing and proposed elevations, and pictures of the single storey extension.  The applicants have consulted with the Planning Authority and the NFDC is happy with the proposal submitted.  There are changes to the flat roof extension at either end which results in a gable end which links up to the rear building’s roof and a pitched roof which attaches to the main body of the house.  Altogether the changes to the roof make it more aesthetically pleasing, however the members preferred the windows to be replaced with white UPVC, as is the rest of the property, not with wooden frames as per the request of the Planning Authority.

Cllr Lane proposed to recommend permission under option 3 with the following comments:-

– The proposal is a vast improvement on the existing appearance; – The Parish Council would prefer the materials for the windows to be in keeping with the rest of the house, white UPVC, this may seem an unusual request but when taken into a view of the whole house the difference in materials would actually make the wooden frames look out of place.

Seconded by Cllr Richardson, all in favour (8).

7. Decisions received from NFDC & NPA (circulated prior to agenda approved): 13/116P NFDC 13/10513 Land at North End Lane, Harbridge Green, Harbridge – withdrawn 8. Appeals & Enforcement (circulated prior to agenda approved): none

9. Consultations (to approve responses or appoint volunteers as appropriate): 13/117P Securing the future availability and affordability of home insurance in areas of flood risk consultation (circ.29Jul13) – response by 8 Aug’13; appoint volunteer.  It was discussed and Cllr Burtenshaw proposed that no response be made by the Parish Council, seconded by Cllr Spark, all in favour (8).

13/118P Cllr Spark proposed to suspend Standing Orders at 9.30pm, seconded by Cllr Lane, all in favour (8).

13/119P NALC consultation A New Future: developing the Strategy (circ.31Jul13) – response by 30 Aug’13; appoint volunteer.  It was discussed and Cllr Lane proposed that no response be made by the Parish Council, seconded by Cllr Spark, all in favour (8). 10. Correspondence 13/120P The Clerk had circulated details of the forthcoming glass kerbside collection, commencing in September.  All householders will receive boxes for the glass and information pacls during the week of 9 September.  An information event is being held on 28 August from 4-6.30pm at Ringwood Gateway; no one will attend.

13/121P The Clerk had circulated for the members’ information an email from the NPA with a letter detailing the Enforcement Notice issued to Forest Corner, Mockbeggar relating the the use of a mobile home without planning permission as an independent unit of residential accomodation.

11. Other Business 13/122P Cllr Burtenshaw requested someone to attend the site meeting at Linwood Road in her place with CCllr Heron and Richard Bastow (HCC Highways) on 15 or 16 August.  Cllr Errington volunteered. Cllr Lane raised a resident’s concern on brambles by bridge on Kent Lane which could contribute to flooding.

13/123P Cllr Webster enquired about the NFDC’s progress with regularising fishing at Blashford Lakes; Cllr Burtenshaw advised whilst she is encouraging the Somerley Estate to submit their LDC, she will also be writing to the NFDC in relation to the long outstanding enforcements.  She also agreed to include frustrating delays in the issuance of NFDC Planning Officer Briefing Notes.

13/124P The Clerk advised she is on annual leave from 10-26 August, please contact the Chair or Vice Chair in her absence.

Meeting closed at 9.45pm.

The next Planning Committee meeting will be held on Tuesday 10th September 2013 at 7.30pm in Ellingham Church Hall.