101 reporting (not quite 999)

Hampshire Police request the public to use on line reporting of non-emergency incidents:

As the summer months are the busiest time of year the demand on the 999 service increases, meaning that 101 call handlers have to support the 999 service resulting in longer than average wait times for the 101 service to be answered.

In order to ease the burden on the 101 service, Hampshire Police are requesting that members of the public use the on-line reporting tool at https://www.hampshire.police.uk/ where you can report under the following categories:

  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Civil disputes
  • Crime
  • Lost or found property
  • Lost or stolen vehicles
  • Missing person
  • Road traffic incident

This is not a substitute for 999 which will always be prioritised.

Hampshire Police are encouraging the public and other public sector agencies to think very carefully about whether the police are the right service to call before phoning 101 – please check out our useful telephone numbers and contacts which maybe more suitable to report on.

Incidents with livestock on Forest report to the Verderers on – 023 8028 2052 or the staff on the Forestry Commission’s 24 hour/365 days number – 0300 067 4600 – who have access to the Agisters’ roster and can contact the duty Agister.

Rights of Way: . http://www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningandenvironment/rightsofway/reportaproblem

Potholes or Road Problems: http://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/roadmaintenance/roadproblems

Fly Tipping: Contact NFDC Street Cleaning Dept. on 02380 285000 or email customer.service@nfdc.gov.uk.